Novosibirsk-Glavny is the largest passenger railway station in Novosibirsk and the Novosibirsk region.
The history of the Novosibirsk railway station began in 1925, when there was an idea to build a new railway station in the city. In 1929 the Moscow Architectural Society announced a competition of projects. The best project was under architect Nikolai Voloshin management. The next step of development of this draft project was taken by the Kiev branch of Giprotrans. The construction start was in 1931. The calculation of the arches and other concrete structures was made by engineer Nikolai Nikitin, in honor of which one of the streets was named in Novosibirsk. The station operation start was on January 25, 1939.
The station takes the key position on the Trans-Siberian Railway and is the start point of Turkestan-Siberian Railway that shows its transit importance between countries of Central Asia, western and eastern regions of the country.
From Novosibirsk there are long-distance express trains to Omsk (“Irtish”), Krasnoyarsk (“Krasny Yar”), Novy Urengoy (“Ob”), Moscow (“Sibiryak”).
There are 5 directions of trains from Novosibirsk Glavny Station:
- Western direction: Chik, Kochenevo, Chulimskay, Kargat, Ubinskoe, Barabinsk, Chany, Tatarskay, Kalachinskay, Omsk.
- Eastern direction: Novosibirsl-East, Sokur, Moshkovo, Oyash, Bolotnay, Urga 1, Taiga, Tomsk.
- Southern direction: Berdsk, Iskitim, Lozhok, Linevo, Dorogino, Cherepanovo, Srednesiirskay, Ozerki, Barnaul.
- Kuzbas direction: Vostochnay, Lnikha, Bugotak, Izinsky, Toguchin, Kurundus, Padunskay, Promishlennay, Egozovo, Proektnay, Belovo, Artishta-2, Trudarmeiskay, Kiselevsk, Prokopevsk, Novokuznetsk.
- To Sokur passing Inskay: Izdrevay, Zherebcovo, Sokur.
There are 3 parts of the railway:
- Novosibirsk part (Novosibirsk Glavny–Chulimskay, Novosibirsk Glavny–Bolotnay, Novosibirsk Glavny–Kurundus, Novosibirsk Glavny–Cherepanovo).
- Barabinsk part (Chulimskay–Barabinsk–Tatarskay).
- Karasuk part (Suzun–Karasuk-I–Tatarskay).
Passsenger traffic is more than 16 mln people per year. The hall area takes 29 000 sq meters, and there are about 4000 seats.
All travelers can not only buy the tickets and wait for their trains, but as well have a lunch here, take a shower in the special equipped rooms, check e-mail, buy necessary stuff for train journey. There are baby care rooms and hotel for transit travellers.
Among touristic sights on the territory of railway station we can mark the following:
- The locomotive copy “Provorny”. Its original was used as the first train in Russia along the Tsarskoe Selo Railway in the middle of 19 century.
- The memorial tablet in honor of V.I. Lenin stay here 1897 during his trip to Shushenskoe.
- The meet and see off statue on the first platform: farther with a baby and mother hugging a small boy.
Location: 630004, Novosibirsk, Shamshurina str., 43 (the nearest metro station – Ploshad Garina-Michailovskogo Station)
Operation hours: round the clock
Telephone: 8-800-775-00-00 or 005
Hotel: +7(383) 229-23-76
Mobile assistance center: 8-800-510-11-11
Resources: eng.rzd.ru; www.nsk.novosibdom.ru; www.zhd-vokzaly.ru; www.top54.city
Photographer: Artem Lisicin